Sunday, October 6, 2013

Hear us Roar!

“Awesome” Pep Talk

One day this past week my mentor teacher was out of the room for a meeting.  She had given me plans for what to do before taking the kids to their music class, but she figured she would be back before I had to pick the students up.  She wasn’t, and I didn’t know what she had planned for her reading lesson because it was going to be test taking practice/review that she wanted to do with the students while I observed.  So I just ad-libbed a reading lesson.

My ad-libbing began with a little pep talk.  My students are pretty well behaved in the hallway when we transition from one room to another.  However, on this day when I dropped off my students I saw a third grade class walking with their teacher, and these kids are always so quiet that the teacher didn’t even notice she had walked well ahead of them.  When I brought my students back to class I told them this story.  I also told them that the younger students shouldn’t be setting the example for how we walk in the hall, as fourth graders we need to be the role models for the students under us.  I truly think my students took this to heart because I could see immediate improvement in their hallway behavior.  I am very pleased that a quick pep talk about being leaders had such a quick and positive impact on my students. 

Following the being a leader pep talk I decided to praise my students with how awesome they are. I pointed to each individual, said their name and told them they are awesome.  We had a discussion about how we are awesome, and what we can do to be even more awesome.  We talked about how it isn’t just the students in our class that can be, and are awesome, but everyone in our school – from the students, to the teachers, to the staff and faculty, etc. – is also awesome.  The students all seemed to love this change of pace in their day, as a pep talk is not something we do often, if at all.  They also thoroughly enjoyed the praise they received just for being who they are. 

The best part about the pep talks was that I was genuine about everything I said. I know my students can be leaders and role models in many facets of school and life.  They are also all awesome people.  There are a plethora of reasons that make every person awesome.  As I continue working with my students it is great to see their awesome traits and abilities shine.  Next week I want to follow up my pep talk with this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o.  I’ve already shown a Kid President video to my students, and I think this video will be a very inspiring video to back up my pep talk to them last week.  

Roar

The MEAP test begins on Tuesday.  The MEAP is not an exciting time for the students, nor is it exciting for the teachers.  There’s some prep we have done recently instead of our usual lessons.  The prep lessons are not as exciting.  These lessons do teach valuable skills and knowledge the students definitely need to have, but with focusing the prep on test taking it just seems to come off a little dry. 

To help remind the students of some important test taking practices one of the teachers created a video of tips to show during a kick-off assembly.  The video was set to the tune of “Roar” by Katy Perry, and had various tips such as “eat a healthy breakfast”, “get plenty of sleep”, “review your answers”, “take your time”, etc.  Along with the video a handful of teachers and student teachers choreographed a dance to go along with the song.  We dressed in all black, taped glowsticks to our clothes to create a glowstick stick figure, and we danced to the video.  The students LOVED it! It was so much fun.  When we got back to class we talked with the students, and they had actually watched the video and read the messages.  With MEAP not being the most entertaining time of the year for the students, it was awesome to do something fun for them, that would also help them remember important tips to use. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMUgN0hZbY (I am the one in the very front, with the crazy headgear that breaks.)
 

Habit 5: To be morally, ethically-grounded deliberators, living and working with diverse individuals with integrity

 

I believe my pep talk about being awesome individuals goes very well with Habit 5.  Each student, and every person for that matter, is awesome in their own, individual way.  As a teacher it is important to find the awesomeness in each student, and to help each student use his/her awesomeness to better himself/herself.  It is hard to observe what each student can do well.  It also takes a lot of time.  By putting in the extra effort to find the positive traits of every student it will make for a much more productive school year, and will help each child grow tremendously. 





No comments:

Post a Comment