Sunday, November 17, 2013

Conferences and Recess

Parent-Teacher Conferences

This week I experienced parent-teacher conferences from the teacher side of the table for the first time.  Our conferences for each student were only ten minutes long.  Since we did not have a lot of time, my mentor and I had to make sure we were concise in what we said, in order to discuss everything we thought was necessary.  It was tough, and more than a few conferences went over the ten minute time frame.  Almost every child was represented by at least one parent/guardian at the conferences, and we even had some students sit in with us too.  With only ten minutes and two teachers having things they wanted to bring up, I would always let my mentor begin the conference and discussion.  During that time I would observe how different topics were discussed and then I would add my own input on the topic where I saw fit.  If something I wanted to bring up was not mentioned in the beginning of the conference I would hold onto my thought until the end, once my mentor had gotten through all that she wanted to.  Overall our conferences went really well.  I learned even more about my students by listening to concerns and positive comments the parents/guardians brought up, and all of the parents/guardians really seemed to listen and take in everything my mentor and I had to say during the conferencing.  Ten minutes definitely does not seem like long enough to adequately discuss all that I felt was needed for each students.  I am hoping when I have my own classroom my district will stretch conferences out over a couple days so each student can be addressed for a longer time.  It would create a longer work week for the teacher, but I feel that the conferences will be even more valuable to everyone involved. 

Recess

Recently the teachers have been asked to take turns as a supervisor of their grade’s first recess.  The fourth and fifth graders share a first recess time and the five teachers have each been assigned one day a week.  Since I am no longer teaching every subject I have a little less to worry about through the day I have volunteered to go out each day so the other teachers can have that time to prepare.  It’s a win-win situation for everyone.  The teachers have more time to prepare for the rest of the day, or to work with a student who needs extra help, and I get to go outside and play for twenty minutes.  I am no longer teaching the math lessons (which occur immediately following first recess) so I do not need those twenty minutes to make sure everything is in order when the students come back inside.  Instead, I take my football outside and play catch with any students that want to throw the football around.   It’s a very fun time, and I think the students really enjoy being able to see their teacher in a different light.  While playing catch, I take breaks to see how other students are spending their recess, and to ask them if they are having a fun time.  Being outside helps me continue to develop a personal relationship with my students, which can lead to better learning, more respect, and even more fun inside the classroom. 


I believe that being outside during recess goes right along with habit one of the five healthy habits: “To be thoughtful and caring learner-teachers, open and eager to know, be known, and respect self and others.”  When I am outside I am able to learn about my students and what they like to do for fun.  I do this simply by observing how they spend their recess, and I also take time to converse with them about any type of topic.  At the same time, my students are getting to know me better too.  They see what I like to do for fun and they hear what I have to add to our conversations.  When I am outside playing and talking I show the students that I want them to enjoy being at school, and that I care about who they are as an individual.  When any teacher is outside – especially when they are actively involved in the recess and not just standing to the side and watching – it shows the students that we are all people who want to do things that make us happy.  



No comments:

Post a Comment