Sunday, November 24, 2013

Only Two Days Left

Final Friday

On Friday morning a few students came to the classroom with some treats carried by their parents.  When I asked the students what their treats were for, they simply responded with a shoulder shrug.  I had a strong hunch the treats would be part of our Friday Brain Boosters, and that this Brain Booster would be different from previous.  I had a feeling this Brain Booster would be more of a party with all of the treats students and their parents brought in that morning.  With Friday being my final Brain Booster I also kind of had a feeling the party would be like a going away party for me, even though I still have two days left. 

When 1:50 came around, it turned out that my feelings were correct, kind of.  This Friday’s Brain Booster was a celebration of both fourth grade student teachers.  Both fourth grade classes came to my classroom and we did our MEAP celebration dance to Roar by Katy Perry, along with some dancing to a couple other songs.  Then the two classes went back to their homeroom to continue celebrating with some snacks. 

As my class was passing out their baked goods (WAY TOO MANY BAKED GOODS FOR ANY ONE PERSON TO EAT), I was given a couple gifts to unwrap from my mentor teacher.  As soon as my mentor teacher put the gifts on my desk, students began getting into their folders to find notes they had written and had gotten signed by fourth graders from each classroom.  It was so sweet.  They all wanted me to read everything they wrote, but I decided not to because I knew it would make me cry and I wasn't ready for them to see me tear up before I finish my student teaching experience on Tuesday.  I explained that to them and there was a collective “awwww” from some, along with some collective laughter from others. 

The students had known about this celebration since last Friday, but none of them let me in on the secret.  A few students had some minor slip ups throughout the week, but none that gave the surprise away until I saw all the baked goods being brought into the classroom.  The best surprise was one of the gifts my mentor and one of the teaching aides helped the students create.  This past week the two worked together to get each student to fill out a prompt about what they liked about me and how they hope I remember them in order to create a going away book.  I cannot believe I didn’t notice anything about the book being created.  I was so touched to see how much each student cared about me.  It was also great to see the effort my mentor and the teacher aide put into making a wonderful book to surprise me.  The notes and the book are definitely items I will keep with me forever.  I’ll never forget my first group of students, and now I have items to help me remember specific things I did in class that helped them learn and grow.

Wonder

It took a while, but I finished reading Wonder to the students.  When I am able to set my own schedule I will set aside at least 5-10 minutes a day – probably after lunch and recess – for a read aloud, just to make sure I can read multiple novels aloud each year.  Setting aside time for a read aloud right after lunch and recess could also help with the transition, allowing students a little more time to use the restroom and to wind down after playing outside. 


When I closed the book for the last time, the students applauded.  I did not expect that type of reaction.  It was moving to see that they learned valuable lessons from the book and enjoyed hearing it read aloud.  After finishing, I started a discussion with the students by saying “this is my favorite book because of the message it teaches.  All great books teach a message that makes us better people.  What is the message we learn from the awesome book?”  It was wonderful to hear their responses.  It was a time when I allowed every student who wanted to share tell their thoughts without having to cut off to move on with the lesson.  From their responses I could tell that my students really understood the meaning and purpose of Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  I hope they are able to use the lessons they learned to help them become the amazing people each and every one of them has the capability to become.  

No comments:

Post a Comment