Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Own Classroom

Full Time, First Grade Teacher!!!

***Disclaimer: If this post seems jumbled I apologize, my thoughts are all over the place with excitement and wonder!

I was offered a first grade teaching position this past Saturday, and on Monday, January 6 I will begin my career as a full time teacher.  I honestly did not anticipate getting a full time gig this quickly after graduation.  I was hoping to land a long term substitute job that potentially led to a full time position within that district.  To already have a full time position lined up is so awesome and exciting!  I have worked with first graders quite a bit through my education at Albion College and my substitute teaching experiences, so I know I will be in a very active age group that is constantly on the go.  Coming in at the middle of the year will pose some challenges, as the students already had a full time teacher they were used to.  With the first few days after winter break I will focus on getting to know my students and letting them get to know me, as well as building a community within my classroom.  I strongly believe that a classroom needs a strong sense of community for the students to be able to learn and achieve their full potential. 

Busy Weekend

I will not be able to get into my classroom until tomorrow because the school had to run my fingerprints and background check before allowing me inside other than for my interview.  That leaves just three days to assess the classroom and see what I need to do by Monday! WOW.  I know my brother and sister took plenty of time in the summers to set up their rooms for the upcoming school years, so to do it in three days will be quite an adventure.  It has to get done so I will spend all the time I need in my room.  Once I get settled in I plan on scouring resale shops for little things to help make my classroom better suited for myself and my students – books, posters, organizational tools, etc. 

Monday


It will be so fun to meet my students on Monday.  If my school allows I will plan to hold an informal open house the first week and invite parents to come meet me and see our classroom.  I am so excited to have my own classroom and group of students to teach and mold into better individuals inside and outside the classroom.  

1 comment: