Sunday, January 12, 2014

Short Week...Short Post

Since I am still trying to plan my week of lessons and learn how to better follow my school's curriculum this post will be shorter than others.  Hope you still enjoy reading :)

My first week in first grade was cut short by three straight snow days.  The short week then resulted in lower attendance for the two days we were in school.  Overall I would say the two day week was as successful as it could’ve been.  I was able to meet about 2/3 of my students and get to know them.  We did a lot of community in the classroom building, read alouds, run throughs of daily routines, and the students came up with anchor charts for classroom rules and expectations.  The anchor charts are now located on opposite walls in the room so at least one chart is visible to the students at all times. 

On Monday I look forward to meeting the rest of my class.  I am very excited to get to know each student that I will be teaching for the remainder of the school year.  Since there was a handful of students absent on the two days back from break we will begin our week by reviewing the classroom rules, expectations, and routines before delving into the curriculum.  Setting the expectations for quality of work and behavior is extremely important to do early, or the rest of the year will be a constant battle of us all trying to get on the same page.


It has been somewhat difficult to figure out where the students were in the curriculum but I think I have a solid idea.  I chose to err on the side of caution, with the thought that a little review – especially following almost three full weeks off – would be much more beneficial than accidentally skipping ahead and having to back track to find the proper location of where my students are with their understanding of the lessons.  I am so excited for my first full week, and look forward to hitting the books – those in the curriculum and just in read alouds of quality stories – with my class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment